Friday, June 11, 2010

ALC Orientation

To better prepare myself for next year, I showed up at the Orientation for this year's ride.

On my way out, I saw an airport shuttle show up at the curb with young 20-somethings spill out with bags in hand. Overhearing their excited conversations, I found they just arrived from Los Angeles! They'll be doing the ride from here in SF and riding back to their home town. Perhaps I shouldn't be all that surprised. This event attracts people from nearly every state and this year folks visited the US for this event from 6 different other countries! This event is much bigger than I thought! How lucky am I to already be in SF? And how crazy am I to attempt this on a 3-wheeled BMX?

I left with a free zero calorie Powerade drink and 2 t-shirts with, "I am a 10" printed on the front.

I took the dive and registered not only myself, but my wife for next year's ride. She didn't pick up her cell phone when I called to ask if she was serious about volunteering at next year's ALC. The discount for signing up this far ahead of time is 60%! Instead of the normal $75 fee per person, it's only $30 a head. Yes, volunteers have to pay the registration fee too. It helps to cover the 3 meals/day for the week, overnight facilities (restrooms/showers/tents) and entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment